I decided to see what I could make from my beautiful Christmas tree after I was all done with it. My first two goals were candle holders and a little container with a swing top.
This is my tree. It was hanging out in the yard for a week or two by this point. The first order of business was to strip all the branches from it.
I considered using my reciprocating saw to strip it, only to find out my batteries were all dead. So I went manly man and used my favourite axe.
The stripping is completed. I now have a pole, and a pile of branches.
I chopped the trunk up in bits and pieces. Ideally it would be best to let it air dry naturally. However, I am lazy so I cooked my wood in my oven. I set it on my lowest setting which was 170F convection bake. They were in there for several hours. My roommates said my house smelled amazing afterwards!
For the container I had cut a thin piece and a thick piece that fit together. You know, for the lid and base. I had two separate designs for the hinge so I made two prototypes.
For my first hinge design I didn’t want any of it showing on the top. My attempt to line up the hole for the dowel was to stick a small nail through the top and drill a hole through those holes. It worked okay but didn’t like up as well as I would have liked.
My second design was much simpler. I just put both pieces together and drilled a hole straight down through both of them.
Time to cut the storage area part. My forstner bits were vacationing at a friends house for a bit so I was left to use my spade bits and my 30 year old drill press.
I included this picture to show just how much saw dust came off this project. No.. I’m not wearing a glove. Just throwing this out there but if you combine sawdust, some wax and a muffin wrapper you can make some awesome firestarters. I sense another blog entry in the works…
I am just focusing on the second hinge design now. It worked the best and looked the sleekest.
Finished project. The top swings completely around using a dowel. Final sanding is all that’s needed.
Finished candle holder. Probably better than Batman could make. On second thought, no probably not.
This is an adaptation of an old grow table I had. It’s not hydroponics or anything and just basically has a grow light. But it was effective. I altered it and put it back together so I can start my garden indoors soon. I apologize I used my phone camera instead of my camera camera. Turns out it’s slightly fuzzy:( I have learned a lesson!
After I chopped the legs off. The plan was to add another shelf as well.
These are the main supports I started with from my old grow table. I needed to put it in a space about a foot shorter so I had to cut off the legs.
This was the old top. I kept it the same. Cut a hole for the light in the middle. Two two by fours frame the top.
I started with the bottom frame. This was kind of hard to do by myself. However I was successful! Cause I am amazing.
Bottom two boards attached to the sides. This was by far the hardest part of the whole endeavor
Complete bottom frame. I win!
Top added. It fit on perfectly.
Total structural frame together.
Sorry for the blurry flurry. Shaky hand sometimes. Notice I used pallet wood for some of it? It’s free and easy to acquire. I use it regularly for a lot of projects. This is where I’m adding the shelf.
Complete shelf support.
I opted to stretch mesh over for the shelf. I hope that it will let light through to the bottom shelf. It seems pretty stable. We shall see how it works when I get plants ready. The larger ones will probably be on the bottom stable shelf but the top will be good for the starters.
After I stretched the screen and stapled it I used wood glue to further strengthen it. I ran a bead down the sides and smoothed it with a Popsicle stick. Arts and craft time at its best.
Finished with the glue. Added the bottom shelf in as well.
These are the specs off the light I use for my plants. I’ll add a better picture in a bit.
Completed with light on top. It is sort of under the stairs to my basement. Hence why I needed to knock it down some. Now I just need to figure out what I want to plant in my garden this year!
Hello again! I started to make my own screens in an effort to save money. It works pretty well and I can make one in under ten minutes now! I start with 1″ by 2″ wood which I cut at 45 degree angles. I cut it so that it would have an interior of 12″ which seems to be a space that I find relatively easy to print with. I use corner clamps to help with the gluing and screwing. These are the screens we use at Tall Grass Apparel
4 pieces of 1 by 2
Materials I start with
staples and staple gun
I glued the ends before I put them in the clamps for extra support. Once in the clamps I made sure to get them as tight as I could before I drilled in the screws. It was effective and worked well. Once I did three sides I flipped it over, reclamped it and finished the frame.
Deposition of Wood glue
Three sides complete, flipped for the fourth
Once the frame was finished it was time to stretch the screen onto it. I started with a piece of screen that I cut to be just larger than the frame. I started on one side and stapled it down while stretching it down the side. Once I finished with that I started the opposite side and stretched hard whiles stapling. It was really hard to take the picture while using two hands to do this but you get the idea.
Cut the screen to be just larger than the frame. Do this so you have some screen to grab to stretch it!
Stretching the screen to do the second side.
Continuing the second side. Making sure to stretch as I went along.
The first two sides are stapled. Now to start the last two.
Completion of the staples on the screen. Time to cut off the excess.
Completed stretched screen.
Adding masking tape border.
Don’t forget to put masking tape on the inside edge. I forgot once ever and there was ink all stuck under that. I will never forget that ever again.